On this day in 2014 Liverpool beat Manchester City 3-2.

Going into one of the most nerve-wracking matches of the season, Brendan Rodgers’ Reds were making great progress on their way to their first ever Premier League title. Liverpool were front runners of a three horse race with the other contenders being Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea and, the opponents this day, Manuel Pellegrini’s Manchester City. A win at Anfield against City was imperative for the Reds, though would be no easy task, especially given the Manchester outfit’s outstanding form throughout the entirety of the 2013/14 league campaign, but three points (and nothing but three points) would put the title race entirely in Liverpool’s control. 

The atmosphere at Anfield was electric ahead of the starting whistle, a mixture of jubilation mixed with solemn reflection as Liverpool commemorated the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster. Following a minutes silence to pay tribute for the 96 who had lost their lives in April 1989, the match kicked off and it wasn’t long until the Anfield faithful were given reason to celebrate. Luis Suarez set Raheem Sterling away, bearing down on the City goal at the Kop end, some brilliant perseverance and patience from the youngster yielded its rewards as he placed the ball past Joe Hart, giving the Reds an early 1-0 lead.Later on in the half the hosts came close to doubling their lead from a corner, only for City keeper Joe Hart to push the ball out for another set piece. This time however, City wouldn’t be so lucky as Slovakian centre back Martin Skrtel got to Gerrard’s corner and guided the ball into the net with a deft header. 

The second half began in a far less spectacular manner for Liverpool as they let City back into the game from a two goal deficit. The introduction of James Milner in place of Jesus Navas proved to make all the difference for the visitors as Milner (then of Manchester City) played a pivotal role in their comeback. David Silva was the first to score for City off the back of a chance created by Milner, before Glen Johnson turned the ball into his own net to make it 2-2 after 62 minutes.

Liverpool persevered however, and their resilience was rewarded with little over 10 minutes remaining. A Liverpool throw in was cleared poorly by City captain Vincent Kompany, seeing Philippe Coutinho charge onto the loose ball, hitting it first time and finding the net, sparking scenes of delirium around Anfield. Coutinho’s goal would be enough to see Liverpool through to a 3-2 victory after one of the most eventful and atmospheric league games at Anfield of the Premier League era.